Robotic process automation is more than just a trend. In fact, RPA is expected to reach “near adoption” within five years. By automating repetitive tasks, RPA can help companies reduce human work hours by 10% to 20%. The benefits of RPA are vast but getting started can be a challenge for many organizations.
RPA, or robotic process automation, is a technology solution that enables the use of a robot. These robots can capture data and interpret it, carry out transactions, manipulate data, trigger responses, and communicate with other technology systems. With RPA, robots can be programmed to carry out the same actions as a human that would normally interact with a digital system. It is mainly used for automation to mimic human user behavior. Repetitive tasks are greatly prone to error, but RPA can eliminate that possibility for a seamless process.
Robotic process automation is extremely valuable for most businesses. Implementing RPA robot costs significantly less than hiring a new employee. Bots do not make mistakes, greatly reducing the errors made by people, and ensuring compliance when necessary. Also, robots do not sleep, so they work around the clock completing various tasks and processes.
The applications for RPA are vast and commonly include:
- Logging into applications
- Connecting to system APIs
- Copying and pasting data
- Moving files and folders
- Extracting data from documents and processing the content
- Reading and writing to databases
- Opening emails and any attachments
- Scraping the web for data
- Making calculations
Many times, RPA robots are used to complete repetitive tasks. These types of processes take humans a considerable amount of time compared to robots. Thanks to advances in technology, RPA can be incorporated into a variety of existing infrastructures and systems to automate countless processes.
Best Practices for RPA
Robots may make some jobs obsolete, but the technology is opening doors for a new class of developers. For developers and professionals looking to incorporate RPA, the process is not overly complicated. There are, however, a few best practices to consider when utilizing robotic process automation.
- Document: It is important to document the process that you will be using RPA to automate. Having a process map ensures you have a step-by-step walkthrough for automating a process.
- Plan: RPA development should be thoroughly planned out before you begin implementing robots. You should have a clear understanding of the components for your solution and how they interact.
- Start easy: If you are new to RPA, it is best to start with an easy-to-automate process. In order to get the maximum benefit from your solution, choose a simple process that can be automated and tested easily.
- Use rules-based processes: Robots can be programmed to follow the rules of a process. Rules-based processes are the best candidates for RPA. Even complex rules can be automated through the use of artificial intelligence.
- Monitor your solution: The great thing about RPA is that robots can follow rules exactly. However, from time to time they can incorrectly identify a rule which will result in an error. Monitoring your solution will ensure mistakes are corrected as soon as possible.
Available Tools for RPA
The range of RPA tools available is diverse and growing every day. Several tools offer drag-and-drop systems to automate your business processes. If you are looking to incorporate robotic process automation into your backend processes, consider the following tools.
- Blue Prism: The flow chart tool can assist with automating a variety of processes and integrate with your current applications. Developers will have an easy time using the software, and medium to large companies will benefit from this RPA tool.
- UiPath: UiPath is one of the better-known RPA tools available. It is friendly for both developers and non-developers in any sized business. The extensive tool allows you to automate a large number of bots for your desktop or web apps.
- Automation Anywhere: This tool is extremely secure and provides real-time reports for your automated processes. Setup is fast, and it is capable of handling the most complicated tasks.
If you are interested in utilizing RPA technology in your business, Pronix can help. With significant experience in robotic process automation, they can determine if RPA is a good solution for your business and walk you through the setup process. By partnering with Pronix for your IT needs, you can find a customized RPA solution for your company.